We have searched the web for the best self defense classes . We analyzed over 1,859 self defense courses found on popular education sites like Udemy and Coursera and rated them based on course instructors, number of reviews, ratings, and more. Below is a list of our top 10 favorite self defense classes . At the very bottom of the post you can check our revision history.
1. Real Self Defense
Do you feel afraid of going out somewhere by yourself simply because it’s not “safe”? Well, that’s simply because you probably don’t know how to get yourself out of the potential danger you’re afraid of. This course teaches you what actually works when a spontaneous attack takes place on you.
You’ll be trained by Paul Browning here. He has a second degree black belt in Karate and had been a part of the UK’s police force for 12 years. After training many police officers, he learnt boxing. With 15 years of experience in the field, he became an instructor for boxing too. Coming to real self defense, he’s got a black belt here as well.
- Introduce yourself to real self defense with “the fence”.
- Learn how to deal with aggression.
- Strengthen yourself for some punching, strangling and choking.
- On wrapping up, watch interviews of Matty Evans and Toney Somers.
2. Krav Maga Maleh – Women Self Defense Course
Who says you need vigorous training in martial arts of any kind to defend yourself? This course is designed to train ANYBODY to be self-dependent in case of a spontaneous attack. Self-defense is all about knowing how to get rid of the worst position the attacker puts you in and doing anything it takes to get far from the situation.
Guy Dar has been a black belt Krav Maga instructor since 1989 and now is teaching the same online. He began his training in 1980 from the Israeli Krav Maga schools of self defense. He was a world rank holder at the 8th position while he was training. Now, he introduces Krav Maga Maleh to train you to become stronger and faster.
- Start with the basics of defense, which is punching and kicking the attacker.
- Learn to release yourself from choking, headlocks and body locks.
- Train yourself to fight from all angles.
- Use common objects surrounding you for self-defense.
3. Self Defense, Martial Art, Karate Course Hand to Hand Combat
It’s OK if you have never taken training in school to defend yourself during danger. Without any background knowledge or experience in fighting, you can now learn martial arts online. This course Karate, Krav Maga and many other martial arts techniques that will make you feel safe anytime and anywhere even if you’re alone.
Your trainer for this course is Gilad Kluger. He is a trained and qualified instructor for both Karate and Krav Maga. His achievements include being a senior black-belt at Karate-Do and a world Karate champion twice. He has been an official instructor at the International Budo Academy and has trained VIP security professionals in Krav Maga.
- Start your session with a warm-up.
- Learn 5 different techniques of hand to hand defense.
- Strengthen your kicking from all sides.
- Learn various combat positions and combinations.
4. Wing Chun Self defence – Intermediate
Are you looking forward to polishing your skills in Wing Chun Chum Kiu Coure? If yes, then this course begins from the intermediate level. Having a basic background in this self defense technique will be helpful for you to learn further. You take this up if you aim to strengthen yourself enough to be able to face any life-threatening attack in future.
SiFu Wong, the founder of MWS – KT3 System and your instructor for this course is a passionate trainer of martial arts. He was bullied as a child and the trouble he went through in his past developed his interest in self-defense. Apart from teaching here, he has a YouTube channel with more than 2 million subscribers and a viewership of more than 250 million.
- Brush-up your previous skills on Wing Chun to start with your intermediary lessons.
- Learn to target the opponent’s vulnerable points.
- Train yourself to give stronger blows and control the attacker.
- Defend yourself from different positions, weapons, multiple attackers and bullies.
5. Self Defense Training Military Grade Jiu Jitsu – Best Course
Would you be scared if a criminal put you at gunpoint? If yes, then you probably need to know how to defend yourself from these situations – whether you’re attacked by an unarmed man or by a group of criminals with guns. Through this course, learn how to protect yourself and get out of the scariest dangers one can face in life.
You’ll be trained by David Wong, who is a professional martial artist and Qi Gong mediator. He discovered an electromagnetic frequency technology that was inspired by NASA to heal the physical, mental and spiritual well-being. He has got an e-commerce company, a software and mobile app enterprise and half a million YouTube subscribers.
- Start by understanding the various Jiu Jitsu defense techniques.
- Learn different methods of finishing a fight.
- Train yourself for defense against weapons,firearms and gun threats.
- Prepare yourself to defend from street fighters and attackers.
6. The Most Important Techniques of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Do you wish to become a champion at Jiu Jitsu? Whether you have any background experience or knowledge in this field or not, you can avail this course and be well-trained. If you have been taking training from an institute already, let’s just say these videos will give you an edge over all your competitors.
You’ll be guided by Felipe Guedes in these videos. He is a 2nd degree black belt in Jiu Jitsu and has helped a lot of kids who have been victims of bullies. His achievements include being a Pan American Absolute division champion, an American National Champion (4 times) and a bronze medalist at the NoGi World Championship.
- Start by taking down your attacker.
- Learn various postures, attacks, defenses and sweeps in “The Guard” and the “Half Guard” position.
- Move on to learn the same in the “The Side Mount” position.
- Finally, defend yourself from those who attack you from the back.
7. Women Self Defense
This course is neither for fitness freaks nor for those who are violent by nature. It is simply for every normal human being who needs to know how to save herself from life-threatening attacks. By the end of this course, you’ll see yourself free of fear of being on your own at a place that might seem dangerous.
This course too is designed and guided by SiFu Wong (refer to point number 4). This man is multi-talented as apart from teaching self-defense, he can also design websites. Moreover, he has learnt motion capture and choreography for martial arts which helped him present his own shows. He has even written a book that is a helpful guide for getting over certain problems.
- Start your training with some basic exercises of hand, knees, shoulders and some stretching.
- Train yourself to do some kickboxing.
- Learn how to defend yourself in a congested area whether you’re being grabbed, choked or attacked from behind.
- End your session by learning how to deal with domestic violence.
8. Kids Anti-Bully Self Defense: Christian Martial Art Paideia
Do you have children aged between 5-10 years? If yes, then in today’s date, it’s important they know how to defend themselves too. After all, bullying is a common problem in many schools and there are street attackers who target the weakest – small kids. This course teaches children Kalos Agon, a self-defense technique that can fight street attacks and weapons.
Your children will be trained by Brian Hiller and Beau Chevassus. While Brian was a medic in the US Army and practiced Jiu Jitsu for 15 years, Beau is a black belt in tae Kwon Do with a practice of 16 years. Together, they found Kalos Agon which is based on the Christian faith’s principles. They teach you to fight without attacking in the eye or curb stomps.
- Understand the principles and philosophy of Kalos Agon.
- Using fun drills and games, learn how to deal with kicks and punches.
- Learn how to gain control over the attacker.
- Finally, learn to deal with one or more attackers who are armed.
9. Urban Combat JKD and Street Survival Self Defense – 1
In a cruel world out there, self-defense is not a matter of your interest, it is a need. That defense could be against a common street robber or against a dangerous group of terrorists. So, whether you know how to fight for yourself or not, this course can make you completely capable of protecting yourself from the highest level of danger.
Your tutor for this course is Emil Martirossian. It may sound a bit surprising, but he has been passionate about martial arts since he was only 5 years old. He is a 5th degree black belt in Taekwondo and a first degree black belt in the IRF system. He also knows kung fu, Thai kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu, western boxing, 5 animal style, Krav Maga, street fighting and many more.
- Start with defense against an unarmed attacker.
- Next, move ahead with defending yourself against a knife.
- Discover what items can be used as a weapon around you.
- Learn urban combat JKD for street fights.
10. Self Defense Epitome:The Ultimate Online self defense course
If God forbid you’re attacked from behind right now with a knife against your throat, what will be your reflex action? This course is a necessity for you if your answer is that you’ll simply scream and cry. Criminals come to you uninvited but you can know minutes before they truly attack you if you’re trained enough to be sharp-minded.
Rubanos Vincent Barayia has been practicing martial arts for 20 years and guides you well throughout this 6-and-a-half-hour course. He is a black belt in Shorin Ryu Karate and Koryu Uchinadi. Additionally, he’s trained in Krav Maga, Jiu Jitsu, Kapap and Judo. He is the founder of SSASE Ltd that provides self-defense training to individuals, security forces and even police.
- Start with learning the art of defense against simple strikes or grabs.
- Learn how to save yourself when pressed against the wall or ground.
- Move on to defend yourself against more deadly or painful attacks such as pushing towards the ground or grabbing by the hair.
- Finally, learn to tackle attackers armed with a knife.
- List published 02/19/2020 with 10 products.