We have searched the web for the best music classes . We analyzed over 4298 music courses found on popular education sites like Udemy and Coursera and rated them based on course instructors, number of reviews, ratings, and more. Below is a list of our top 9 favorite music classes. At the very bottom of the post you can check our revision history.
1. Music Theory Comprehensive: Part 1 – How To Read Music
Music is a language of its own – not just for hearing and playing, but also for reading and writing. Be it the basic notes of music score, the chords of a guitar, augmented and diminished triads or the keys, this course teaches students coming from any background on how to understand the tune and rhythm of music by reading it.
This is yet another course guided by the best selling music instructor, J Allen (refer to point 1,6 and 7). In a duration of 5 and a half hours, he provides 43 lectures to help you figure out tunes, tempo, rhythms, upbeats, downbeats, intervals and pitch of music with the help of musical notes and chords.
- Introduce yourself to the various elements of musical theory.
- Move on to understand the layout of a keyboard.
- Understand the pitch notations on a musical staff.
- Learn how to read score symbols and conventions.
2. Music Production in Logic Pro X – The Complete Course!
Do you aspire to become a professional music producer? With basic skills and knowledge in the field, you can take-up this course and learn how to use Logic Pro X, an excellent music production software. You can import as well as record audio and create a spectacular song, instrumental or remix of your own.
You’ll be trained by the team of Digital Music Masters – Tomas George and Christopher Carvalho along with Ian Alexander. Tomas and Christopher are professional music producers and composers who founded the online music production academy in the UK. Ian too is an audio engineer with an experience of more than 10 years, working with Studio One, Logic Pro X and Pro Tools.
- Set-up the software and get used to its interface.
- Create music using apple loops, MIDI, software instruments and audio recording.
- Provide audio mixing, video updates, beats, synths and other effects.
- With advanced theories on sound design, tones and waves, compose your first song.
3. Game Music Composition: Make Music For Games From Scratch
Are you a video game developer looking forward to composing music for your own games? If yes, then this course is designed specially to compose music for video games. Even beginners who are not into game creation are welcome to join. Starting from the basic theory, you’ll understand what kind of music needs to be made for a video game.
You’ll be trained by Karleen Heong, a professional music composer, programmer as well as instructor. This enthusiast has been playing the piano since the age of 4, electric guitar since 14 and composing music since 15. She also knows how to play the classical guitar and the Japanese flute and has been teaching since 2007.
- Introduce yourself to general music theory and composition.
- Install FL Studio and get used to the interface of the software.
- Create theme-based music for social media, Indie, AAA and mobile games.
- Compose music for game characters and battles.
4. Music Theory Comprehensive Complete: Part 4, 5, & 6
If you are a professional in the music industry, you probably know that music too involves several theoretical concepts. Even if you don’t have any experience, this course can be helpful for you in the future. However, it is important to complete the prequels of this course, that is, Part 1, 2 and 3 (refer to point 1).
Jason Allen has got 93 courses on music and more than 140,000 students. He has a bachelor’s degree in guitar, 2 masters degrees in music composition and electronic music and a PhD in music composition. Apart from owning Slam Academy, he is also the CTO of Ion Concert Media, owner of Punkademic Courses and the founder of Hackademia.
- After a quick recap of your previous lessons, introduce yourself to musical modes.
- Go into the depths of counterpoint in music.
- Compose an 18th century style music.
- Move into more melodic and harmonizing compositions
5. Music Theory for Electronic Musicians, Part 1: Chords
This course specially deals with the theoretical concepts of electronic music. Whether you’re a fresher or have some background knowledge in music, by the end of all your lessons, you’ll be eligible for creating chords and melodies of your own. Also gain insights on the piano roll editor, octaves, keys, patterns and lots more.
This course too has been created by Jason Allen (refer to point number 1 and 6). He is indeed the best selling tutor on Udemy having students across 196 different countries. This course comprises 39 lectures provided over 3 and a half hours. Most of his lessons are flexible enough to be availed by absolute beginners.
- Introduce yourself to the basics of electronic music.
- Learn about the “5th”, keys, the “third” and the basic triad.
- Move on to the concept of diatonic chord progressions.
- Gain insights on the 7th chords and other intervals.
6. GarageBand Masterclass: GarageBand for Music Production
Are you a song writer, singer, music composer or a filmmaker? Whether you’re a professional or still aspire to be one, this course will teach you how to compose your own music and songs using GarageBand, a software mostly available in Mac machines. Starting from setting-up the software, you’ll learn every feature that’ll help you make your own original composition.
This course is guided by Jeremy Deighan along with the team of Concept Courses. Jeremy is a multi-talented and full-time instructor and has played music since childhood. He plays the guitar, bass guitar, drums and saxophone. The team of concept courses has got several tutors and courses in software, machine learning, music, AI, business and designing.
- Install the software and learn how to operate with the user interface.
- Discover the various templates and collections available on GarageBand.
- Connect & use devices, record audio and play music on GarageBand.
- Gain advanced knowledge on mixing tracks and making a final edit to complete a composition.
7. Learn piano or keyboard from scratch – Complete piano course
Have you ever looked at the piano and tried playing it? If yes, then it means you’re interested in learning it too. This course is for anybody who loves to hear the sound of a piano or keyboard and wants to play some on his own. All you need with you is an electric keyboard or piano so that you can follow and play.
You’ll be guided by Martin Cohen. Even though he used to teach physics, mathematics and informatics by profession, he has been playing the piano since he was 8 years old. He has played for several rock, blues and jazz bands and currently focuses only on teaching piano, music theory and music composition online.
- Understand how you’re supposed to sit with your instrument.
- Learn to read and understand the scales and chords with which you’re supposed to play.
- Follow the notes and slowly start playing it on your instrument with one hand.
- Gain speed and start playing the keyboard with 2 hands.
8. Music Theory Comprehensive Complete! (Levels 1, 2, & 3)
Do you love music enough to learn it? If yes, then this course introduces you to all basic instruments and helps you understand musical notes. Gain an understanding of keys, strings, chords and scales. You don’t need to have any particular instrument with you, but through the videos you’ll understand how music is composed.
Jason Allen is a PhD in music and an Ableton certified trainer. This music composer has shown versatility in sound design, song writing, DJ, remix, music production, performance and multimedia. In fact, he happens to be the co-founder, owner and CEO of Slam Academy which is a multimedia educational space in Minneapolis.
- Understand the layout of the keyboard and the language of its notes.
- Gain an understanding of rhythms, upbeats and downbeats.
- Introduce yourself to keys, chords and scales.
- Get into the depth of minor keys and scales.
9. Music Production I – Learn to be a Music Producer!
Compose your own music using a digital audio workstation software through this course. From having very little or no knowledge in the field of music, you’ll learn equalization, compression, microphone placement, audio recording, audio editing and adding effects. You can also import audio for the purpose and export your final composition in the end.
Your mentor for this course is Mitch Houston. After graduating from the Conservatory for Recording Arts and Sciences in 2014, he started his own studios that produces and releases several audios every week. He’s a certified audio engineer, a musician and a song writer with a total industry experience of more than 15 years.
- Introduce yourself to the DAW software used for music composition.
- Understand fundamental concepts of music production, sound, digital audio, microphones, cables and other things related to your subject.
- Go deep into the concepts of plugins and MIDI.
- Create your very own song by recording, importing and mixing sounds.
- List published 03/05/2020 with 9 products.