We have searched the web for the best french language courses . We analyzed over 550 french language courses found on popular education sites like Udemy and Coursera and rated them based on course instructors, number of reviews, ratings, and more. Below is a list of our top 10 favorite french language courses. At the very bottom of the post you can check our revision history.
1. French Online: Use Past Tenses in French like a Native – 2
If you have finished the beginners level course of French (till A1) and are willing to take a step forward, then this course is for you. It is even better if you have finished the Part 1 of “Use Past Tenses in French like a Native” as Part 2 begins where it ended. You can also take this up if you’re a beginners level teacher and need grammar tips to teach.
Your instructor for this course is Olya, a PhD with teaching experience of more than 20 years. Apart from French, she is also an expert with English, Russian and Italian. She has helped her students settle in France, Belgium, Canada and Switzerland through her language courses. She has started her project “Learn French Online” and already gained a rating of 4.8/5.
- Take a quick revision of your previous knowledge.
- Move towards imperfect and compound past tense.
- Learn all prepositions related to time.
- Express opinions, feelings, wishes and possibilities in the past.
2. 3 Minute French – Course 5 | French lessons for beginners
This is the 5th part of the connected series of French language courses for beginners. It begins from where part 4 ends (refer to points 5, 6, 7 and 8). By the end of it, you’ll be thorough with some new verbs, adjectives, adverbs and phrases. You’ll develop your vocabulary as a tourist who visits France and needs to know the language.
This course is designed and guided by Kieran Balls, a language tutor based in the UK. He has written books and has online language courses for 6 different languages which include French. The other 5 languages are Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch and German. One of his series is named as “3 Minute Languages”, of which are designed for beginners.
- You start with a quick recap of what you learnt in Course 4.
- The course comprises 11 lessons starting from lesson number 36.
- It provides you with a sheet that can help you expand your vocabulary.
- You’ll learn new verbs, adjectives, adverbs, phrases, past tense and present perfect tense by the end and be prepared for the 6th and the last course of the series.
3. The French Subjunctive – Full Course – Intermediate Level
Are you willing to polish your skills in French? If you’re done with level A1 and A2, you’re eligible to take up this course that’ll teach you subjunctives. You’ll be taught everything 100% in French language here, so you should at least be able to understand this language well. By the end, you can move from the intermediate to advanced level.
Anne Le Grand, your instructor for this course has been teaching at French University for the last 10 years. She has a master’s degree in French as a Foreign Language and now guides several students online as well as at the University. You can check out her page on YouTube as well as Facebook to know more about her.
- Polish your overall grammar skills through fun quizzes and videos.
- Learn 10 new expressions that’ll enhance your vocabulary.
- Master the usage and application of subjunctives in different situations.
- Clarify your concepts on all the tenses and apply the right tense at the right time.
4. Sound Like a Native – French Pronunciation Full Course (HD)
Do you know some French but simply don’t sound like one of them? If you do wish to “sound like a native”, then this advanced level course is for you. In only 2+ hours, you’ll be mastering the language – with pronunciations and grammar. You’ll be covering a set of 10 lessons that are 100% in French language, no other language’s subtitles are there.
This course too is designed and guided by Anna Le Grand. She has designed this course for people who know a little bit of French but need to gain mastery over the language in order to settle down in the country, study there or help them in their career. She has 3 courses for teaching French and has received a rating of 4.7/5.
- Take a quick revision on your previous lessons.
- Understand and apply French sounds and expressions like a native.
- Get hold of the typical French accent.
- By the end, you’ll master the pronunciation of the language.
5. 3 Minute French – Course 3 | Language lessons for beginners
Going back in the “3 Minute French” series, this is the third one in line. It starts where Course 2 ends and covers 8 chapters in 4 hours and 40 minutes. If you really want to learn the language at a smooth pace, then taking up this series is helpful. Starting with 1 and 2, you can move on to 3, 4, 5 and 6 to get a good hold over the language.
Kieran Balls has designed 6 courses for the “3 Minute French” series. Apart from that, he has two more series that teach French – the Building Structures series and the Quick Guides series. All these courses have been designed to facilitate efficient online learning of foreign languages. If you find his methods interesting, you can go through his books too.
- Quickly revise what you learnt in Course 2 to start off with 3.
- Learn new phrases that can help you with several travelling situations like directions.
- Gain an understanding of verbs and their proper usage.
- Create descriptions in French by the end of this course.
6. 3 Minute French – Course 1 | Language lessons for beginners
We’ve been talking about the Bestseller “3 Minute French” series throughout this course. How can we skip out on the first part? This is the one made for absolute beginners. In 9 lessons, it will provide you with an introduction to French language. From basic grammar and vocabulary to the right pronunciations, you’ll be a confident speaker by the end of this course.
Kieran Balls names this as the “3 Minute French” because every video lasts only for 3 minutes. The only reason why he follows this method is because according to his experience, it maintains enthusiasm in the student to learn more. Moreover, you’ll retain better as you’re learning little by little.
- Introduce yourself to the basic structure of the language.
- By understanding grammar and linguistic features, start constructing sentences.
- Understand French expressions and pronunciations.
- Learn how to greet people, make conversations and order food in French.
7. 3 Minute French – Course 2 | Language lessons for beginners
Did the Course 1 above interest you enough? Well then taking up Course 2 can help you move ahead. You finish 9 lessons in the previous course and take up 9 more in this one. So, if Course 1 ends at Lesson number 9, Course 2 starts with Lesson number 10 and ends at Lesson number 18. It’s a well-planned continuation.
Kieran Balls has broken the entire series of “3 Minute French” in 6 different courses. He believes that short lessons and short videos maintain the interest and enthusiasm in the student to learn something new. He has a total of 56 courses on 6 different languages and 3 different series for them. This includes the “3 Minute French part 2”.
- Quickly brush-up your previous knowledge from Course 1.
- Get a better grip on phrases, vocabulary, structure, grammar and pronunciations.
- Learn phrases related to questions, time, money and meals.
- By the end, you’ll learn how to tell time and book a cab in French.
8. 3 Minute French – Course 4 | Language lessons for beginners
You refer to point 6, 7 and 5 for the preceding courses of this one in the list. If you are willing to go to France to study, work or settle down, then learning French step by step by these series of courses can be really great. This keeps your pace of learning easy and slow. Moreover, you’ll enjoy it all throughout and by the end of every course, your confidence to speak French increases.
Kieran Balls has created a bestseller series of learning French. Breaking down French lessons into multiple courses has encouraged more than 164,000 students to learn from him. He has gained a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars from more than 23,000 students. This is because his methods have helped them all learn more easily and flexibly.
- Revise your concepts from Course 3 to begin with this one.
- Learn some more phrases on questions along with verbs, adverbs and adjectives.
- Introduce yourself in French and learn in detail to greet people and make conversation.
- By the end, you can confirm or change reservations and speak about illness.
9. French for you, French course for beginners and intermediate
Are you willing to learn French from scratch? Whether you know the language or not, this course will directly take you to the intermediate level in a total class of 11.5 hours. Another reason why you can consider taking this up is that it does not have a typical way of teaching – you’ll learn words, expressions and grammar with the help of cartoon characters.
This unique way of teaching French is the creativity of Michel Cioffi. He has an interesting professional journey that starts from graduating in law from the University of Paris. He then moved on to teach French language first in Italy, then in the UK where he worked with professional actors.from here, he moved to the US where he became a member of the Film Institute.
- Introduce yourself, greet people and make a small conversation in French.
- Understand the grammar, alphabet, vowels, expressions and pronunciations.
- Learn nouns, verbs, adjectives, pronouns, conjugations, adverbs and phrases.
- Finally, understand tenses and sentence construction to be able to speak fluently.
10. French for Beginners : Level 1
As the name suggests, this course is meant for people who are just willing to learn without any idea about the language. Translations will be made from English to French or vice versa, so that’s one language you need to know. By the end, you’ll know enough to take a short trip to France or any other country where the language is spoken widely.
This course is designed by the French Toast, a French Language School that has taught thousands of students since 2010. Your tutor from their team is Julie, who has been teaching French for the last 10 years. She is a native who has a degree in French as a Foreign Language and has also worked with autistic children in the UK.
- Understand the pronunciations and expressions of the French.
- Learn how to introduce yourself and greet people.
- Next, learn conjugations, numbers, articles, pronouns and genders.
- Create sentences and be able to talk about time and directions.
- List published 02/16/2020 with 10 products.