We have searched the web for the best digital art courses. We analyzed over 2266 digital art courses found on popular education sites like Udemy and Coursera and rated them based on course instructors, number of reviews, ratings, and more. Below is a list of our top 10 favorite digital art classes. At the very bottom of the post you can check our revision history.
1. Digital Art for Designers: Create Still Life Illustration
Do you wish to learn Adobe Photoshop along with Adobe Illustrator? This short course teaches you to create still life images on both the software tools together. In only 8 lectures of 41 minutes, you’ll become a digital painter. All you have to do is install Photoshop and Illustrator in your machine and start this course.
Your instructor, Shubham Sharma is from South Asia. This passionate artist has now started sharing his knowledge on different types of art on online platforms. This is one among the 9 courses he teaches, which has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars – the highest any course can achieve.
- Start exploring the software and various concepts of still life art.
- Move on to digitization of art, starting from sketching.
- Provide textures and finishing touches to your image to make it look realistic.
- Give a final brush-up to what you’ve learnt to retain your skills.
2. Line Art Master
Do you wish to take your creativity at new heights? If yes, then this course is perfect for you. You don’t have to be a professional, just have a creative mind and passion for art. Discover the beauty of line art through Adobe Photoshop. You’ll learn several tools and techniques with the help of which you can create interesting figures by the end of this course.
Your tutor for this course is Hardy Fowler, a professional illustrator and concept artist from LA. He is the creator of many characters, object designs and scenes that have been used by the entertainment industry. Apart from that, he’s a certified medical illustrator too. He teaches art online passionately to every person who has an artist in him or her.
- Master line art in Photoshop over just 14 lectures of 1 hour and 48 minutes.
- Introduce yourself to line art hierarchies.
- Using various tools and functions, learn how to create an image.
- Create a war beetle and an octopus before wrapping up the course.
3. Character Art School: Complete Colouring and Painting Course
Are you one of those artists who couldn’t stop colouring even after growing up? If yes, then this course is right for you. From paper, come forward to digital colouring and painting. Here, you’ll get characters present in video games, comics, manga series, Animes and other cartoons. By the end, you’ll learn how to provide an attractive colour combination to every figure, image and scene.
Your instructor, Scott Harris is an art director at DAS: School of Art and Design. As a professional art illustrator and tutor, he has developed the creativity of more than 180,000 students. He has designed this course in such a way that an artist of any level can achieve a high level of professionalism in his or her work.
- Introduce yourself to the theories and concepts of colour and light.
- Get used to the tools and UI of the digital art software.
- Gain insights on the various styles, forms and flows of colouring and painting.
- Finally, get several demos, tricks and shortcuts for painting efficiently and professionally on various software for art.
4. Digital Painting in Photoshop: Create Amazing Concept Art
Do you aspire to present your creativity on the digital platform? Well then, this course teaches you how to use Adobe Photoshop CC from scratch and how you can create some wonderful images here. Discover how software can make it easier for an artist to represent his or her imagination. Not only that, you will also be equipped with skills to practice art professionally.
Robert Marzullo will guide you through this course in a very smooth and simple manner. For the past 15 years, he has been running his own design firm and has created several comic book characters, storyboards and 3D characters for television. He also happens to be the author of “Learn to Draw Action Heroes”. Passionately, he has now started sharing his knowledge through online platforms.
- Get used to the interface of Adobe Photoshop CC.
- Learn how to sketch a character or object from scratch.
- Understand the usage of colours and how painting happens on a software.
- Gain additional knowledge on creating fire, ice and wood with complete effects.
5. Digital Painting – Amazing Fantasy Art in Manga Studio 5
Do you wish to create your own world of fantasy? This course teaches you how to do so! Using Manga Studio 5 or Clip Studio Paint, you can learn how to create various elements of a picture or scene – be it rocks, power effects, weapons, landscapes or characters. Take a look at all the tools, tricks, techniques and demonstrations you need to become a pro.
This course is also designed and instructed by Robert Marzullo, who has an experience of more than 15 years in this field. Apart from this course and the one mentioned above, he has 13 more courses on Udemy. He has more than 24,000 students only from Udemy and over 100,000 subscribers on YouTube. It is commendable how he smoothly guides you in this course over just 49 lectures.
- Get your hands on the various tools of the software.
- Start with adding colours to basic rock formations.
- Create fantasy weapons, trees, mountains and an Ogre character.
- Gain access to some more practice sheets to polish your sills.
6. The Digital Painting MEGA Course: Beginner to Advanced
Do you wish to polish your skills on digital art? If you have even a basic understanding of any one digital art software, this course will turn you into a professional master. Starting from shaping your sketch to providing it with realistic colour, texture and light effects, you will learn to create a professional image in just 95 lectures.
Your tutor for this course is Austin Batchelor, who has been working in the gaming industry for quite long now. This concept artist and illustrator has experience of working in a studio as well as from home as a freelancer. Having more than 135,000 students, this tutor has gained immense popularity for passionately giving away his knowledge.
- Start with polishing your skills with the digital tools and brushes.
- Move on to clarifying all concepts of light and colour theories.
- Learn different styles of painting, shading and inking.
- Create absolutely photorealistic images by the end of the course.
7. Adobe Draw – Creating digital art! Drawing A-Z on your iPad
Do you want to learn how to draw on your iPad? Well, get hold of an iPencil and take up this unique course. Whether you’re a complete beginner to drawing or are already a designer, you can learn to draw professionally on your iPad through this course. You’ll end up creating a realistic, professional quality digital portrait by the end.
You have two instructors for this course – Gergo Stich being the primary one along with Justus Zeemann. Gergo is a professional digital artist who has created digital illustrations on several graphic boards and tablets. Zeemann on the other hand is a professional photographer and videographer with an experience of 16 years. He is here to give you a bonus lecture towards the end.
- Start getting used to the iPad and the iPencil for drawing.
- Move on to shadows and highlights that you need to provide in the background.
- Learn how to create a realistic burger.
- Create a portrait starting from the face outline and finishing with proper highlights and touch-ups.
8. The Advanced Guide to Digital Art with Procreate on iPad!
If you own an iPad and wish to learn art on it, this course introduces a new app to you. One that especially features only on iPads – Procreate. This course will teach you how to create professional quality images through the app. You’ll be needing an iPencil or any other stylus that’s compatible to your iPad before you start this course.
Kurt Michael Russell, your instructor for this course has been a professional artist since 2011. He has completed more than 90 comic books in his career so far. Ever since 2013, he has been passionately sharing his knowledge on YouTube and online training platforms. He has more than 27,000 students and around 11 courses designed for you.
- Get used to the interface of the app.
- Discover the various layers and masks available in the app.
- Learn various shortcuts for drawing and painting.
- Provide finishing touches to your creation with advanced tools and techniques.
9. Digital Inking for Comics – Create Amazing Line Art
How much do comic characters fascinate you as an artist? If you even have a liking towards them, you’ll thoroughly enjoy this course. Here, you’ll learn to provide colour combinations to these characters in a way that can make a comic book look appealing. The process does involve concepts on colours more than you think.
Who could be a better guide for the course than the writer of “Learn to Draw Action Heroes”? Yes, this is another course by Robert Marzullo out of the total 15 courses he has designed. In simply 5 sections and 34 lectures, he will guide you through digital inking of an entire comic panel. The total course takes only 5.5+ hours.
- Set up your digital canvas and brushes to start.
- Start with providing the effects of light and shadow.
- Learn in detail how to colour the head of a character.
- With complete finishing touches, learn how to complete the entire comic panel.
10. The Ultimate Drawing Course – Beginner to Advanced
Do you want to master the art of drawing and sketching on paper? It is the foundation of art that you see in the form of canvas paintings or digital images today. This course will teach you from scratch how each and every shape, object and figure is created till you can create complete still life images, landscapes and portraits.
You have 2 tutors for this course – Jaysen Batchelor and Quinton Batchelor. While Jaysen is a freelance illustrator, Quinton is a professional photographer. Jaysen started his career as a designer for animated objects and characters at the age of 17 in Utah. He shares all the knowledge he has gained through experience in this course along with Quinton.
- Start the course by learning how to draw an eye.
- Learn the fundamentals of lines, shapes, forms, contrast, space and perspectives.
- Create various still life images, human faces and human figures.
- Apply textures to your drawings and give it an animated feel.
- List published 02/09/2020 with 10 products.