We have searched the web for the best BIM classes. We analyzed over 396 BIM courses found on popular education sites like Udemy and Coursera and rated them based on course instructors, number of reviews, ratings, and more. Below is a list of our top 12 favorite BIM classes . At the very bottom of the post you can check our revision history.
1. BIM Infrastructure Anchors from Civil 3d to RVT
Are you a civil engineer or architect looking forward to boosting your skills? If yes, then with the help of your existing knowledge in Dynamo, Civil 3D and Revit, this course on BIM will give your career a great push. Learn how to use BIM and utilize its functionality further with elements of Civil 3D, Revit 2018 and Dynamo.
Your mentor for this course is Enrique Galicia. He is an architect as well as an Autodesk Certified instructor in Revit Architecture 2015 and Revit Structure. Also holding a masters degree in PMP & IT Management, he has been working as a professor at the Tecnologico de Monterrey. He has also given lectures at Autodesk University and several other forums.
- Learn to extract topography from Civil 3D and Revit.
- Discover other methods for creating topography surfaces.
- Create anchors with Civil, Revit and Dynamo.
- Use the Dynamo player to clear functions and create data shapes.
2. BIM Revit 2020 Modeling From Zero with Dynamo 2.1
For all architects, structural engineers and mechanical engineers out there, if you have Autodesk Revit 2020 and Dynamo 2.2 installed in your PC, develop your skills further through this course. You’ll learn how to create various elements and structures as well as review your information assets with the help of BIM technology.
This course has also been designed by Enrique Galicia. Along with teaching experience with Autodesk University, Tecnologico de Monterrey and other forums, he also has work experience as a programmer for AddIns and Apps for Windows, iOS and Dynamo workflows. He has worked on more than 80 projects so far and shares all his experience in his courses.
- Introduce yourself to the basic structure of Dynamo 2.2.
- Discover the various elements and tools present in Revit 2020.
- Create walls, roofs, floors, ceilings, structural framings and columns with geometric rules.
- Learn to create and manipulate families with parameters.
3. BIM Autodesk Revit 2018 Dynamo Player for Modeling Vol 1
This course on BIM also focuses on working with Revit and Dynamo and is designed for architects and engineers. You’ll need basic knowledge of Dynamo geometry modelling as well as Dynamo Analysis. Based on that, you’ll learn further how to create workflows, scripts for modelling elements and adding information to models.
This is another course designed and guided by Enrique Galicia. He has 57 courses in total related to technologies on construction and management. This is one his highest rated courses at 4.9 out of 5, where he explains concepts of BIM in only 24 lectures spread over 1 hour and 18 minutes.
- Introduce yourself to Dynamo Player for interphase use and data-shape creation.
- Import project information from Excel and other external files.
- Improve your skills in civil engineering and architecture.
- Learn how to frame on surfaces and edges better.
4. Learn to program the Revit API by Boost Your BIM – Part 2
Are you looking forward to enhancing your skills in Revit? If yes, then this course is perfect for you. You’ll mostly be using Revit Architecture 2014 in order to write Revit API code in C#. Autodesk Revit has tonnes of features and functionalities you can make use of. You’ll be improving your skills in geometry, site creation and error-handling.
You’ll be trained by Harry Mattison, the founder of Boost your BIM as well as an ex employee of Revit Technology Corporation and Autodesk. He collaborates with AEC firms and works on making Revit software better. Through his company, he has created apps that help to automate routine tasks, extract model data and enforce company standards.
- Improve your skills in floor creation, editing the shape of floor slabs, creating model & analytical curves and floor supports.
- Learn how to create and edit topographies better.
- Use C# to write Revit API codes and perform a variety of tasks.
- Handle errors more efficiently and prevent overwriting of central files.
5. Model Checking for BIM with Solibri
The Solibri model checker is a cross-platform software that is used for visualising and evaluating models stored in IFC format. In this course, you’ll learn how to filter, report and communicate tools available in this BIM authoring software. Towards the end, you’ll have a greater understanding of IFC content files.
Your tutor, Stefan Boeykens is professionally an architect and an engineer from Belgium. Since 2000, he has been teaching computer aided architectural design in KU Leuven. Some of the software tools he has taught include AutoCAD, 3D Studio VIZ, SketchUp, ArchiCAD, Rhinoceros + Grasshopper, Arlantis, Unity and Cinema 4D.
- Introduce yourself to the interface of the Solibri Model Checker.
- Get an overview and understanding of Solibri Model Viewer.
- Learn how to use the Solibri Ruleset Manager and Solibri Optimizer.
- Gain more insights into presentations, issue tracking and information takeoff.
6. Building Information Modelling : Essentials of BIM level-2
Whether you’re still a student or a professional, if you know nothing about BIM, then this is the right course for you. Starting from understanding the basic concept of BIM, you’ll understand its uses and applications in various fields, level of developments, responsibilities, maturity levels and execution plans.
Your instructor for this course is Ayman Kandeel, a BIM specialist and an Autodesk certified tutor. For more than 12 years, he has been designing bridges, roadways and highways on Revit structures, AutoCAD Civil 3D, CSI Bridge, Leap Bridges and INFRAWORKS 360. He has also written several articles for a BIM magazine by BIM Arabia.
- Introduce yourself to the concept and dimensions of BIM.
- Understand the basic comparison between BIM, CAD and traditional systems.
- Learn more about its uses, benefits, implementation factors and levels of development.
- Get a deeper understanding of the roles and responsibilities, execution plans and maturity level of BIM.
7. Gaming with BIM Models, 3d Coordination
BIM models are also useful for creating interactive games and this course teaches exactly how to do that. All you need is Autodesk Revit 2018 software with basic knowledge about its usage. You’ll also be using Dynamo 1.3.1 and Unreal Engine which will help you create the simulator. Thus, as a Revit user, you’ll boost your skills to navigate a coordination model as a game.
This is yet another course instructed by Enrique Galicia (refer to points 1, 2 and 3). This is the 4th out of his 57 courses on this list with a rating of 4.5 out of 5. He teaches the implementation of BIM in Unreal and Revit 2018 through only 22 lectures over 2 hours and 11 minutes. If you are a builder, engineer, constructor or architect, this course has been designed for you.
- Configure structural models on Revit and export it to 3D Max.
- Introduce yourself to the structure and interface of Unreal Engine.
- Import FBX models, architecture and installations to Unreal Engine.
- Clean your main character, build lights and pack the file to an EXE.
This course on BIM by Enrique Galicia focuses on teaching how to create construction simulations with Navisworks Manage 2018, Autodesk Revit 2018, Project, 3D Max 2018 and Dynamo 1.3 with parameters. Thus, you need all these software tools installed in your PC and have basic knowledge of constructing models and time schedules.
This course comprises 28 lectures spread over 2 hours and 40 minutes. He has designed it for architects, engineers and constructors who are interested in learning about 4D BIM estimation and creating construction simulations to communicate directly and graphically from scratch. However, you will be needing basic knowledge of construction using Dynamo.
- Learn how to link time and objects on Autodesk Revit 2018.
- Open Dynamo from Revit and work with various data, functions, lists, lacing and strings.
- Set-up a simulation by parts using Dynamo.
- Import your creations in 3D Max and use Maxscript to create various behaviours.
9. BIM Revit Insights. Energy analysis of buildings
Are you an Autodesk Revit user looking forward to improving the energy performance of your buildings? If yes, then this is the right course for you. Using Autodesk Revit 2018, 2019 or 2020 version, you will now gain insights into building energy performance faster. You’ll be identifying spaces that take maximum energy consumption as you interact with performance indicators.
Your instructor for this course is Jose Regueira. A professional industrial engineer from Spain, he has maximum work experience with an electric utility company that develops renewable energy generation plants. His current projects involve building installations, energy saving along with air conditioning and building energy certification.
- Introduce yourself to Autodesk Revit Insight.
- Learn how to make energy analysis of buildings.
- Compare the geometries of buildings and make a detailed analysis of energy consumption.
- Gain deeper knowledge of energy optimization for buildings.
10. Learn to program the Revit API by Boost Your BIM
The course mentioned in point number 4 is a sequel to this one. Without having any background knowledge in coding, if you are a Revit user, you’ll learn how to write Revit API codes in C#. Autodesk Revit is a software that has a lot of scope and functionality. This course is meant to improve your efficiency with the software by polishing your skills.
Harry Mattison has spent 4 years at Revit Technology Corporation and Autodesk where he would develop as well as test new APIs in family editor, analysis visualization, dynamic model update, massing, views and schedules. He uses life’s work experience to train through 3 of his courses online.
- Introduce yourself to the concept of Revit API codes.
- Learn the basics of C#, .NET and programming in general.
- Improve your skills in geometry and operations of elements.
- Learn how to debug API code and get materials from various Revit families.
If you wish to learn Autodesk Navisworks with BIM tools from scratch, then this is the course you need to sign-up for. Utilizing your existing knowledge in 3D construction designing, learn to manage 3D construction models as well as create 4D and 5D simulations. You’ll also be creating interactive animations using animator and scriptor tools.
Your tutor for this course is Mohamed Elhout, a project management and business analysis professional. He has an M.Sc. degree in Construction Project Management and a certification in PMP (Project Management Professional). His seminars, webinars and courses are based on project management tools and certifications.
- Introduce yourself to the interface of Navisworks.
- Navigate, review and adjust models on the software.
- Learn grouping, sorting and using clash detectives.
- Set-up for quantification, usage of timeliner and the animator tools.
12. Revit Template Creation For a BIM Workflow
Are you willing to become a BIM manager? If yes, then this course has been designed for you. You’ll be customizing Autodesk Revit 2016 templates for company standards in your lessons of 2 and a half hours. If you wish to avail any detailed information on template creation, you can visit ArchSmarter, the course creator’s official website.
Corey Williams is a professional BIM manager and your trainer for this course. He has been working with the AEC industry for more than 7 years now. Starting as an apprentice builder, he is now a building designer with a global certificate in BIM management as well as an advanced certificate in Revit and Navisworks.
- Create various line and text styles and edit their patterns and weights on a new template.
- Learn to make arrowheads, dimension styles, tags and new materials.
- Create keynotes, annotation symbols, title blocks, sheets, levels, legends and schedules.
- Edit phases and object styles, insert families, create view templates, filters, roofs, walls and export settings.
- List published 03/26/2020 with 12 products.